In 2014, Sacred Roots Language Society was formed at the University of Montana in Missoula by a group of students from a variety of backgrounds, Native Americans and others. To raise awareness on language endangerment of indigenous languages.
Our purpose is to raise awareness on the Native (indigenous) language's of Montana, to promote revitalization and self-determination. Keeping the traditional "Society" structure unique to the Native American tribes of Montana, both politically and socially.
What We've Achieved
- The Blackfoot Language Class is back at the University of Montana
- SRLS hosted its first Sacred Language Conference in 2015 and will be hosting its second this November
- SRLS has put on two 5k fun runs to promote awareness in Missoula
- They have uploaded a video that has gained the attention of Upworthy
- They have been able to successfully bring together students from various tribes, communities and backgrounds with all one common goal.